Afterwards we had dinner at a French fusion restaurant. It was ok but got ripped off with drinks. $10 for a small glass of beer!
Today we have a visit to two temples, a castle, a tea ceremony and kimono wearing experience. The day is cloudy but hot 30 degrees. The first temple Ryoanji Temple is famous for its rock garden and gardens. Both of the temples are heritage listed. It is a beautiful. The second temple is called Kinkakuji Temple and it is covered in 24 carat gold leaf. It is a popular site and is extremely crowded, particularly with school children. Had a few high fives with some of them. Again there are beautiful gardens and surrounds.
We then head off for our tea making. While the men are having explained to them the styles etc of the kimono, the girls are being dressed. After the girls were done it was the men's turn. We all looked great. We then had the tea making ceremony. Traditionally the tea ceremony take four hours. Our tea master was 80 years old. She was great, funny and very informative. She explained all the phrases and bows etc you need to say and make. We all had to repeat them there were three phrases and I tried to remember the last one. I ended up being pretty good. At the conclusion she asked for one volunteer to prepare the tea and then one to drink it. No one offered on the drinking side so I put my hand up. Once the tea was provided to me I had to respond and fortunately I got it right. Some of the group thought I had an ear for language, just dumb luck. At the end of the ceremony we were given a token by the tea master, who is a famous tea master, which said Treasure every encounter.
We then had a Japanese lunch. It was enjoyable. Can't believe what we are eating!
After lunch we went to the castle. It was a shogun castle built of wood. The floorboards were built so that anyone walking would make a sound so they could not carry out a sneak attack.nas you walked along it sounded like birds chirping and is been called the nightingale floor. The gardens surrounding the castle are beautiful.
We get back to the hotel at 4.30 and it is time for beer o'clock with chips!
Kyoto is a lovely city and feels more like our image of Japan.








test
ReplyDeleteHi!
ReplyDeleteYea! I'm glad you are likely Kyoto it is very beautiful. I went to Ryoanji Temple it was very relaxing. The tea ceremony sounded very cool.
:)
Kate
You both look great
ReplyDelete